How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am a Canadian currently working in the UK next

This answer was rated:

Hello I am a Canadian currently working in the UK for the next year. I signed and re-signed a 3 year lease with a Rental agency representing the land lord of the flat I occupy. According to my lease the agency/landlord is entitled to raise the rent by 5 percent per annum. This was not done last year and now this year he wants to make up for it by raising it by 8 percent. My rent is being paid by the Canadian taxpayers and my support agency will not budge from the signed lease. The Rental agency admits it made a mistake by not raising it last year but it is still looking like the Landlord will terminate my 3 year lease 1 year early. Can he do this?
Your landlord cannot evict you without going through a formal procedure which first involves serving a legal notice on you and then going to court to get a possession order. Such a process takes a few months at least.
I would advise you to try and negotiate with your landlord directly about the issue and explain your problem as his agency may not have consulted him about this. It is hard to see your landlord terminating your tenancy over a 3% difference in the rent increase.
May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you