How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

In Correspondence - How do you address a Magistrate? This is

Customer Question

In Correspondence - How do you address a Magistrate? This is for a character reference - I've addressed it to the Presiding Magistrate and started with Your Honor (but I think this is american). Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my Alex and I will help you with this,
Your Honour is for a Circuit Judge or Recorder.
It should be Sir or Madam in Court or by their name if in writing and JP added at the end.
Please see:
Its about half way down.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I should Delete the "to the presiding magistrate" and on the letter address it to Dear Sir or Madam as I do not know who the magistrate is.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Always address Dear Sir then if you don't know who it is. Yes delete the presiding Magistrate.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.