How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A statement was posted on our local councils Facebook stating

This answer was rated:

A statement was posted on our local councils Facebook stating that I couldn't control my dogs, there was a vicious attack and people with children should be careful. I responded when I saw this statement saying it was my dogs but I was a fight as the other persons dog jumped toward my dogs as I was exiting a field. I don't think this statement should have been posted so publicly without any corroboration and as I work locally too this has caused me a great deal of upset and has knocked my confidence. I have sent an email to the press office that posted this and have been totally ignored. Can I sue for compensation
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What loss have you suffered please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I work in the local pub and have lived here for 15 Years and this was a slur on my reputation, caused me to lose confidence and was so publicly sent out that I couldn't reach everyone who saw it to rectify the statement. Having 4 visits from the police has also been very traumatic. I was asked to pay for all the excess on the other peoples vet bill. As I am an honest and upright citizen I said I would pay half but this wasn't saying that my dog was guilty. this was purely an unfortunate dog fight and the other persons dog who jumped down to mine came off worse
If you want to sue for this it would be in the High Court. That is because defamation or slander is only issued in the High Court. For this you would need a Solicitor and Barrister to represent you and you would need to show you have lost standing with your peers.
The cost of getting this to trial would be circa £15,000 given the complex and specialist nature of proceedings. If you lose then you would also be liable for costs of the other side. As such whilst you can sue the process is very expensive and complex.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest,
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.