How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35062
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If someone is getting called by their biological father who

This answer was rated:

If someone is getting called by their biological father who has suddenly discovered their number, and continues to call despite them telling them not to call - are the able to get a restraining order?
The main concern is they'll turn up at their house and not so much the calls. If they are able to get a restraining order, what steps would need to be taken in order to get this, in the UK.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Has the person reported the harassment to the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

No this hasn't been reported to the police yet.

That is the starting point.
This person does not have to put up with this and the police powers regarding criminal harassment are much more effective than those of the Civil Courts.
He does need to keep a careful note of all incidents as they will help in any eventual prosecution
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Should one want to take civil action - as apposed to criminal what would be the procedure?

My concern is that this will achieve what the "father" wants - the chance of a face to face meeting
The start of the process is the same - a careful diary of events; then a letter needs to be sent asking him to stop contact, and if that fails then an applictaion is made for a Non Molestation Order using the form here
A court date will then be set
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you