How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Sirs, I recently accepted a Quote to insure a vehicle and paid

This answer was rated:

Sirs, I recently accepted a Quote to insure a vehicle and paid the £495 premium. The cover also covered my son to drive. Both he and I have SP60 speeding offences and this was made clear for the quote. On producing our driver licenses the company discovered my son had had an earlier SP 60 4years and 11months ago and although no longer current claimed a further £50 payment which I refused to pay and sent back the certificate requesting they cancel the policy. They accepted my request and charged me £50 for doing so which I have no problem in accepting. They also deducted a further £50 for my none declaration of my son's expired speeding offence. Question are they in your opinion entitled to do this? Thanks A.Y.Lorimer
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
They are entitled to increase their premiums for relevant offences such as a speeding.
If you cancel a policy within the first 14 days then you are free to do that but they are entitled to charge an admin fee and also a fee for the days for which you were covered. £50 is not unreasonable Im afraid.
In relation to the age of the points, that is only relevant from the point of view of the DVLA and the RTA. Insurance companies are a contractual partner. They are entitled to ask about expired convictions as they effect the risk they are taking when they insure a person. Most insurance companies ask about convictions within 5 years and some ask about matters within 10.
Sorry if that is bad news but I can only give you truthful information.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you