How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Our home was rented out by a renral agency who are no longer

This answer was rated:

our home was rented out by a renral agency who are no longer in business, they gavethe keys to someone without a deposit nor a tenancy agreement, we tried legally for years to get this person out, lots of costs but no mum died, I have the deeds and her Will, but still can't get the house back, the person who was handed the keys has died but his girl friend stayed on, she left and now her teenage daughter is in situ, my recent solicitor says I now need a grant of probate to yet again try to evict this person.......i'm a pensioner but cannot get legal aid and every 'movement' from the solicitor is approx £500 a month, and now this probate is yet another £ 500 there any hope of ever getting my house back, I've been homeless and on the streets because of this and now I'm in sheltered accommodation
kindest regards
Ann Wilkinson Type your legal question here
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Have you tried getting a court order for possession yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes but to no avail....keep asking for proof of ownership, when I produced deeds and after a lot of searching...mum's will, still 'problems' and more expense...

Who keeps asking for proof of ownership?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the woman who lived there plus the societies of Shelter, Calico and Hyndburn homes who refused to rehouse her and accused me of trying to make her homeless......We have never had a penny in rent since the keys were handed over, this woman signed a rental agreement with me last year, she has not paid a penny in rent either, and has not been evicted....the solicitors who have represented me know all this ......

But the court has never asked for proof of the owner?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Ok. Then you should apply for possession proceedings. You can do this on behalf of the estate if you act as agent. Therefore if this person has not paid rent then the owner, or on behalf the owner can apply for possession. Your Solicitor should be doing this and this can be done online at:
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou ...but do I still need a Grant of Probate?...the solicitor has quoted me £500, or online 'tis a bit cheaper...

kindest regards


Not for possession no. But you will need probate at some point to dispose of the property.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.