How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have stored my ex partneres furniture in my house month

Customer Question

I have stored my ex partneres furniture in my house for 4 month , I have asked her numerous times to remove it and all I get is excuses , can I remove it myself to either the tip or a charity etc
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Whilst at present you will have some responsibility over these items as you are storing them at your premises and she has entrusted you with them, this does not mean they can remain there indefinitely.
To be able to safely (and legally) dispose of them you must write to her, giving her formal notice to collect these and advising her that if she fails to do so within a specified period of time, you will have no other option but to dispose of them and would have no further liability.
A reasonable period to wait is a month so write her the letter, tell her that she has a month to collect the items or arrange for their removal, give her the exact date when that notice expires and state that if the items remain with you after that date you retain the right to dispose of them as you see fit, with no further liability on your part. After the notice has expired you can make arrangements for their disposal, whether selling them, giving them away to charity or taking them to the tip.
I suggest you also send the letter by recorded delivery so you have proof that she has received it.
I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Could you please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? It is important for us to know either way so we can track customer satisfaction or identify whether I need to help you further? Thanks