How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Between 2008 and 2011, my wife had the license and leaase on

This answer was rated:

Between 2008 and 2011, my wife had the license and leaase on a local pub. The more successful it became, the more the pubco charged her, until she was declared bankrupt in 2011. From time to time, although I had a full-time job, I helped out there. This week I received a letter from the local council saying that they had miscalculated the business rates for 2010/2011 and have now decided that the payments were almost £700 "short". As my wife was declared bankrupt they expect me to pay it as I stayed overnight in the flat above at times. Is this correct?
Needless to say, there is no way I could pay that amount as my monthly wages are only £1000 and I am the sole earner now - my wife has since retired through age.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Is there any signed contract between you and Pubco?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't think so. I would have to double-check that after having some sleep!

Please check. If you have not signed anything you are not liable. If you have signed something then you are. But if you have not signed anything even if you have been staying there, no contract exists between and you and Pubco.
Therefore you can't be liable.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you