How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

We are trying to get NHS funding to put my daughter in a private

This answer was rated:

We are trying to get NHS funding to put my daughter in a private hospital for acute personality disorder and sucide the hospitals we have rung say get Gp or Care Coordinator to call them to make referral but they seem reluctant to do this even though there are beds available what are our rights as time is literally running out for my daughter

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Is your daughter presently in an NHS hospital or is she presently in the community please?
Is she registered with a GP?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She is presently in the community and with a GP it is her mental health team that are reluctant to recommend or refer her to a private hospital for DBT long term treatment under NHS funding

Many thanks. In order to obtain access to NHS funded care one has to have a referral - the only principal exception to this is access to A&E. Referral is the method by which the NHS controls access to care. Initially your daughter would ask for a referral by her GP to a psychiatrist or NHS mental health team (which is where psychiatrists work). From what you say I assume this has already been done. Assuming this is the case her mental health care will normally be overseen by the mental health team to which the GP has referred her though she can still ask the GP for input. The mental health team can refer her to a hospital facility if they consider this appropriate. From what you say they are reluctant to do so. If your daughter is not happy with their decision in this respect she has the right to a second opinion and can ask her GP or psychiatrist to refer her to a different psychiatrist for a second opinion and can aain ask for a referral to a hospital facility if this is her wish. If the second opinion psychiatrists is still unwilling to refer her and she is not happy with this decision, then she can make a complaint to the hospital which the psychiatrist works. the hospital is required to deal with the complaint in accordance with its complaints procedure and at the end of this, they must provide a full written response explaining the reasons for the decision(s). If your daughter remains unhappy with the decision, she has the right to refer your complaint to the health Service ombudsman who can independently review the decisions made and make a adjudication which is binding. If matters are urgent and you do not feel you have time to wait to pursue complaints procedures following a further decision you are not satisfied with from a second opinion psychiatrist, if you have the funds, it is possible to pay for private health care at an NHS approved hospital and then follow through the above complaints processes and look to recover funds paid out privately in the event that the above complaint is upheld. It is important to notify the hospital if this is your intention as soon as possible as part of the complaints process. I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
I hope the above is helpful? Can I help you with anything else or has the above answered your questions satisfactorily? If you could drop me a quick message to let me know I'd be very grateful.
Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you