12826847

I went awol from British army 40 years ago _ what's the situation

I went awol from British army 40 years ago _ what's the situation now ?
In relation to what?
Are you asking if they will still act?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I want to know what's the best procedure to surrender and what the possible punishments are

Have you never come to their attention in the last 40 years at all?
That would be unusual
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I live in Dublin so it's not that unusual
That might explain it.
Normally you just hand yourself into any military police station.
You can hand yourself into the civilian police as well but that would lead to a good deal more time spent in custody.
I would actually be quite surprised if they prosecuted you. Although this is a very long period of AWOL their records might well not go back that far. They certainly would not now be able to say what the aggravating or mitigating features were and your barracks might well have been disbanded now anyway.
You do get military detention for AWOL. It depends on the circumstances of the AWOL and of course they cannot prove them one way or the other. Given the age of this incident and the fact that you are no longer a servicemen though a military community order is unlikely realistically.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think they would remember 40 years ago and would have records for it . What do you mean Military Community Service ?
Take it from me, they will not.
I'm not sure how to express it differently - military community service. Community service within the military.