How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was just reversed into by a delivery car at ZSL London Zoo

This answer was rated:

I was just reversed into by a delivery car at ZSL London Zoo whilst sitting feeding my 1.5 yr old daughter. The car hit my chair, then my back and I banged on the side of the van and shouted, which made him aware, at which point he stopped. The car was 12 inches from my daughter. He could've seriously injured us both, or potentially killed her, despite the car travelling at slow speed. I've made an official complaint, and want serious compensation, but have no serious injuries, other than the stress associated with it. It is a vehicle that belongs to the catering company within ZSL, who are a contracted company. What should I expect to hear back from them and what am I entitled to?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
I am really sorry but you are not going to be able to claim a substantial amount.
You only get compensation for the actual loss suffered in the UK rather than the potential loss arising from a risk of something that didn't happen.
If he caused damage to the chair then there is a claim for the actual cost of putting that right.
If you were actually injured then you would be able to claim a certain amount. You don't describe your injury here but seem to accept it is not serious. Realistically then it would probably be less than £100 for pain and suffering.
You need to provide a costings of your actual loss. You might get a bit more to avoid adverse publicity although probably they would just pass it onto their insurers who would only give you the bare minimum that the court would make them. You don't want the cost of going to court though.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you