How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I rent a house through a letting agency and have been

Customer Question

I rent a house through a letting agency and have been in the property for over 4 years.
Yesterday the letting agency representative entered my home without my knowledge, permission and without any prior notice.
I want to know what if anything I can do about it. It's clearly a wrongful entry. There are no and never have been any disputes between myself and the landlord.
I also want to know how I stand if I change the locks to prevent this happening again. Who if anybody has a legal right to have a key to the property?
Greg Jones
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Yes this is breach of contract unless your contract allows it. You can certainly sue for breach of contract. Ordinarily you would not be able to change the locks without giving the Landlord a key. But in this case if you are 100% sure that they breached their contract (ie this was not an emergency) then you can consider changing the locks,.
No one else apart from you have a legal right to enter the property unless permitted by your contract.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?