How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10731
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

We would like to split our house into 2 houses and make

Customer Question

Hello. We would like to split our house into 2 houses and make a mid-terraced one bed house and an end-terraced 3 bed one. At present we are a semi 3-bed house. Could you please advise us how to do it better. Kind wishes, Tanya
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Have you had any informal chat with your Council's planning department?

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. No didn't have a chat with council's palnning department. . What is the best way forward? We are considering to apply for a planning permission. We have a semi 3-bed with a big garden aside. My husband can do an application form ( he was trained as an architect...) The middle of the house is already a 1 bed semi. The palnning is perfect for this.

We think to apply for extension aside as a 3 bed semi. Shall we apply for a separation of 2 properties at the same time? Thanks. Tanya

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tanya,

Thanks for your reply.

You are best to apply for permission for everything you want doing, at the same time. I would however suggest that you have an informal chat with the planning department first, to see if they have any issues in principle, before you waste any money on a formal application.

Please note that if you do have a Mortgage, you would need to obtain your Lender's consent before the conversion commenced.

As and when permission is obtained, if you were wishing to keep 1 of the 2 properties and sell the other, this wouldn't cause too much trouble for your Conveyancing Solicitor- you would merely have to prepare a suitable scaled Plan showing the extent of the land to be sold.

I hope this helps but please let me now if you require any further clarification.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards