How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A builder has done some renovations on my house - a

This answer was rated:

Hello - a builder has done some renovations on my house - a new roof and an attic refurb. I eventually had to ask him to leave the property because of the length of time it was taking and he would turn up when he wanted to. Since he has gone, I have had problems with my roof and guttering, all of which was supposed to be new and sorted. I have tried to contact him by phone and email - but with no response.
So, I have paid someone else to correct the problems. I have now been told that some of the work that the original builder quoted for and was paid to do has not been done, ie. new battens in the roof. My new roof is bowing, and there have been a couple of leaks through onto the new decoration in the attic room.
I know I will need to write to him and ask him to resolve the problems but I also know that he is unlikely to contact me. I heard someone else say that he was 'winding up' his company (not a limited company). I also know that he has moved from the address that appears on his letterhead - but I have got his new address.
My question is - if I contact him to say that he will need to come back and fix the rood, what is stopping him winding up his company (if he hasn't already) - in which case I will have no where to take any future claim, should he not respond.
I have already paid out almost £1000 for remedial work. With additional work to renew battens on my new roof and make good my newly decorated and finished attic room having been quoted at around £3500, I am really no longer sure what my course of action should be.
I would be very grateful for any advice as to the best way to approach the situation.
Thank you
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of the £3500 within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Alex - and the issue about the builders company being wound up?

He can't wind up a non limited company,
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you