I am having difficulty in finding out exactly when the clock

hi alex

i am having difficulty in finding out exactly when the clock starts ticking with respect to time limits for bringing a claim under 14A i.e. when does the 3 year limit start and end?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
The clock starts from the date you first had knowledge or reasonably expected to have knowledge.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i receive an email on say july 15 2010 alerting me a fact that may give rise to a negligence claim (the original period of six years has already passed) what is the deadline for bringing a claim under 14A i.e. the last date when i can deposit my claim form with the court?

3 years from date of knowledge, so probably 14th July 2013.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi alex

you say probably!! doesn't the clock start ticking from the day after july 15?

No. You knew on July 15th 2010.
It starts ticking from then.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi yes i understand that but when does the 3 years expire?

3 years after. So if you knew on 15 July 2010 limitation expires on 14th July 2013.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

you sent me this link last year -

for calculating the dates, is it wrong? where can i find within the 1980 act how to calculate the dates, or anywhere else?

Yes I have seen that. But this is not contract, you are claiming negligence.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so when the act says i have 3 years from the date of knowledge where does it state that i have to start proceedings one day before that date? sorry for harping on but why is contract limitation different to a negligence claim in the eyes of limitation?

It is because its 3 years for neglgence and the day starts ON the day of knowledge. So if it was 15/7/10 then the date of 15/7/13 would be 3 years and one day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do you know of any case law where a claim is thrown out for being statute barred by a day as you have indicated above i.e. issuing on 15 july which should have been on july 14? cheers

Yes there are. Many cases, it can be 1 second past midnight and you are stuck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry to be a pain but can you send me any links where claims have been struck out (professional negligence claims against solicitors) because they are late by the smallest of margins.

many thanks

Sadly I cant search cases for you. But if you go to:
You can saerch here for free.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

tried bailii but i can't find any case law that fits!

Sadly then you can only try subscription based such as:
1) Lexis Libruary
2) Lawtel
3) Westlaw
4) Practical Law.
I am sorry.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.