How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I signed a Guarantee Agreement daughter last September

Customer Question

I signed a Guarantee Agreement for my daughter last September on a property she rented. She has recently moonlighted and I have received a letter from Legal 4 Landlords demanding arrears of £1700 as guarantor.
I have traced her new address (we are not on speaking terms).
Question: If I supply her new address to allow this company to recover the debt from here directly, am I relieved of the liability for the arrears or am I still liable for the debt.
***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience. May I ask if the arrears you have been asked for relates to the original tenancy for which you signed a guarantee or has the tenancy been renewed since you signed the guarantee without you signing a new guarantee please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The original tenancy

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks. If you provide the new address to the landlord the landlord should take reasonable steps to attempt to collect the rent from the tenant before seeking monies from you under the guarantee. Giving the address will not remove liablity from you but the landlord shold pursue your daughter for the rent before chasing you under the guarantee. Also consider that even where the landlord does pursue you under the guarantee you are able to pursue your daughter for any money you pay out - she is still the person with liability for the rent rather than you. The landlord would have to sue you in ocurt if you refuse to pay and in these circumstances you could issue a counter claim against your daughter for the money so that she is required to repay you any money you pay out.Finally you may wish to consider giving notie to the landlord that you do not wish to be bound by the guarnatee beyond the length of the original tenancy. This can be useful because this gives the landlord notice that should the tenancy continue beyond its original term or is renewed the landlord will not have the protection of the guarnatee. the landlord may therefore be more motivated to bring the tenancy to an end at the end of the initial term as opposed to potentially allowing it to run on which he may be more inclined to do if he believes he has the benefit of a parental guarantee.I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
I hope the above is helpful? Can I help you with anything else or has the above answered your questions satisfactorily? If you could drop me a quick message to let me know I'd be very grateful.