How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been trying to find a divorce decree from a

This answer was rated:

hi, i have been trying to find a divorce decree from a foreign country but was unsuccessful. can i get a lawyer help me with this. we only have a photocopy of the decree

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Does your partner have any contacts in Botswana?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i don't know what you mean by contacts?

His ex is a botswana national, they got married here in england and when the relationship broke down she went back to her country and filled for divorce there. she gave us a scanned copy and said she couldn't find the original. the court who issued the divorce decree is in lobatse and my partner has written to them to get a copy but they haven't been helpful. my partner is british and has no contacts in Botswana

I have to ask - is he sure that the divorce actually happened?
Did he ever receive any of the original paperwork?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes the divorce happened as his ex has again married in the uk.

In that case the only option is to instruct an agent (probably a lawyer) in Botswana to obtain a copy of the Decree from the Court
There is a list here
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you Clare, will try that.

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you