How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I made a comment about a bar in Haverhill, Suffolk on twitter

This answer was rated:

I made a comment about a bar in Haverhill, Suffolk on twitter about how they water down their drinks didn't think to much about it really but the owner of the Bar (is who is messaging me on Facebook) saying he is taking legal action against me. Just wanted to know what my options are?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is it untrue ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well I don't no I only made the comments as a friend of mine questioned it and got kicked out. Didn't think anything of it really. did not expect this to happen

Is it too late to remove it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have removed it now, but he has said he has already spoken to his solicitor and has started proceedings. Has already started a libel suit against me I guess for slander? Can he do this? I didnt expect it to go this far.

Yes, he could. It is a libelllious statement. There is no way around it.
Whether he will or not is another matter. There isn't any point in suing a person who cannot pay the award and defamation actions are expensive.
Also, if you have removed it already then the loss he has suffered will not be substantial.
In principle though there is a claim but whether he will pursue it given the expense and the fact that you have removed it is another matter.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was going to issue an apology to him on Facebook do you recommend I do this? Ok I will wait to see what happens. Thank you for the help will be a little more careful in what I say in future.

Sorry for the delay. I am in a court with weak internet connection.
I would do nothing I think. It is not likely anything would happen and if you do post an apology then you make admissions and also refer to the incident.
If they want you to apologise then that is different.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's Ok not to worry, well I have apologised. I thought I'd better as I thought it was the right thing to do. I will just see what will happen with in the next couple of days. Thank you again.

It is very unlikely they would act. It is very expensive and the offending content has been removed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok then thank you so much, I wont be posting anymore comments on the internet. Will keep the stupid comments to myself. He has replied saying I need to make a public apology on his Facebook page to stop proceedings

Well, you have done that.
Keep a screenshot of his message.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have them saved on my computer and phone and there on facebook.

Thank you again

No problem.
All the best.