How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We want to build a house on land that has been in our family

This answer was rated:

we want to build a house on land that has been in our family for generations. But a local builder has a 'ransom strip' across it.
What do we do?
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I'm ok in waiting for an answer.

Please carry on searching for a Professional that can help us.

Best Regards, Karen.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
For now please let me know whether he is willing to sell it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We are having trouble trying to speak to someone at the builders. It is rather a large company.

Have you had solicitors write?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


I would get solicitors to write first of all. The company should then respond. If they do not then sadly you can't force them to sell it to you. People do buy strategic pieces of land. But get a solicitor to write as that can't be ignored and can progress matters.
You may have to pay a premium for the strip but there is law about how that is calculated. But get a soldier to write.
Sorry to say u can't really offer much more than that as that is the legal position.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that.

We have got access rights, so could we still be allowed to build a house if they won't sell?

Sadly not. All you could do is take them to court and even then a judge won't necessarily order they sell it.
I am sorry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thank you

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you