How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

My daughter has been asked by the benefits office to supply

This answer was rated:

My daughter has been asked by the benefits office to supply proof of address for her estranged husband - he has refused and says he hasn't got anything in writing and won't give her his current address. She will lose her benefits for herself and my grandaughter if she cannot supply proof. Can you advise on what we can do?
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience. May I clarify this is to prove that he does not live with her for housing benefit please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, they are stopping her benefits if she cannot supply the information within 30 days.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that's correct

thank you. If your daughter is unable to contact her husband or he refuses to cooperate, then she will need to consider supplying a statutory declaration to the benefits office instead. A statutory declaration is a statement by her given on oath and it is formally sworn in front of a solicitor in a similar way to the way evidence is given on a thin the court (though no visit to a court is required and it can be sworn in front of a local solicitor).Your daughter statement given in the form of a statutory declaration will be accepted on face value because it is evidence formally given on oath because giving false evidence on oath can result in custody. Statutory declarations are often used in situations such as this because as you will imagine the situation of an uncooperative or and contactable ex-partner is not overly unusual.Your daughter may consider contacting the benefits office to explain the position with regards ***** ***** husband and that she is willing to supply a statutory declaration confirming the date he moved out and that he has not lived at the property since. she can ask them to provide statutory declaration that typically, they will advise that she will need to prepare her own and confirm the information they require her to declare. She can have a declaration prepared by a local solicitor or I can prepare a draft based on the benefits officer requirements if she prefers. The benefits office should confirm their requirements for the declaration in writing to her.I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help that has clarified things for me.

A pleasure. I hope she makes some progress