How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kasare Your Own Question
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1301
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

Could you possibly give me some advice on my

This answer was rated:

hello, Could you possibly give me some advice on my situation? I am currently engaged to a women who has been living with me for just over a year. we have a 3 month old son. And now we have split up and I suspect she is coming after me for my house. After i was injured in Afghanistan i have amassed in eight years a property portfolio of 7 properties around the uk and Europe all are in my name and she has had no input whatsoever. Now I am worried she will try and take them. I have no problem with providing for my child which I Pay £400 per month for which is over what she will get if she uses the csa. But the current house I live in is worth quite a considerable amount of money, which i will not just hand over to her. I will however rent a flat for her and my son to live in as long as the area is not too expensive and we bot agree on the terms. I have since put the house on the market so she can't get her hands on it and all my other properties are rented out, will this protect my assets or is there another way to protect them?

Hi, thank you for your question, I will assist you with this.
First of all, please stop panicking. If she comes after you for your house, then unless she has made a significant financial investment in the property on the expectation that she would be part owner, then she has no claim. Couples who live together without marrying are not able to make a financial claim against each other just because they have cohabited.
Has she ever contributed to the property by way of a lump sum investment, home improvements etc? Have you ever led her to believe that you consider her to be an owner of this? Unless you have given her reasonable cause to expect an interest (and by this I mean accepting payments etc) in any of your properties she is not entitled to bring any claim against your properties/assets.
There is no need to sell your property to avoid her trying to claim it.
However, in terms of separating, do not leave your property and allow her to remain living in it until she finds a new place to live.
In terms of providing for your child, you are being reasonable with financial provision.
I hope this assists but if you have any further questions, please ask.
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1301
Experience: Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Kasare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very good advice. I can stop flapping now Laughing

Hi Dean, not a problem! Thanks for rating my answer. If you have any further queries, now or in the future please ask.
HiIt is certainly correct to say do not flap - and there is no need to sell the house either.In addition whilst I do not advise that you leave the property there is no reason why you shoudl not do so - it will not jeopardise your case in any wayHowever you do need to be aware that under Schedule 1 of the Children Act you are under a duty to help house the child until the child is 18 and renting a property for her is unlikely to be sufficient.Given the extent of your assets if your ex applies to the court it is likely that that the court will make an Order that she is given a "housing allowance" in the form of a capital sum to spend on a property - which will revert to you when the child is 18.This will be addition to child maintenanceYou should offer to discuss matters with your ex using Family