How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

I have pleaded guilty benefit overpayment and the

Customer Question

I have pleaded guilty for housing benefit overpayment and the court sentenced me with 150 hours community work .
As I have applied for British citizenship last month, what should i do to ensure that my british citizenship decision from ukba will not be affected since this today judgement is dated 15 may 2015 while the home office is still looking into my application since last month before this new event
nd sent all
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
please note that the court acknowledged that this offence was not deliberate from my part as I misunderstood the terms of changes of circumstances.
Now I have been sentenced 150 hours unpaid community work and need to know what are my best options to ensure my UK citizenship will continue its course despite this unfortunate event.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I will wait


Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Was there any indication of when you will receive the written decision?
Have you got a letter from the home office confirming receipt of your application?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I have received the letter from Home office confirming that my application is under review and will receive an answer within 4 to 6 weeks

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
If this is the case then it would be in your best interest to disclose this to the home office, you need to inform them of the fact that you have been sentence to 150 hours of community service. You do not want the home office to make a decision and then later find out that you had deliberately withheld information from them.
The home office states that if you have been charged with a criminal offence and are awaiting trial or sentencing, you are advised not to make any application for naturalisation until the outcome is known. In this case as you have been given a non-custodial sentence your application is likely to be refused and you will not be able to apply for 3 years from the date of your conviction.
In this case you should inform the home office by writing them a letter confirming that you have been charged and sentenced.
I apologise that I could not give you better news.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

I hope this answers your question, if so please provide a rating so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards