How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My father in law is terminally I'll and has been given only

Customer Question

My father in law is terminally I'll and has been given only a few months left to live. He is currently renting a property and the tenancy is soon to end. The landlord has refused to extend the tenancy However, doctors have stated they believe my father in law is too ill to move house. Is there any way the landlord can be forced to extend the rental agreement so my father in law doesn't need to move.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Hello,The landlord cannot evict your father in law without a court order granting him possession of the property. Your father in law may oppose any application made by the landlord to the court to grant him possession, all in all, a process which may take several months.Your father in law does not need to move out when the current tenancy ends, he should continue living in the property and paying rent as previously done.The landlord cannot be forced to renew the tenancy but the tenancy continues as a periodic tenancy by law if it ends and your father in law continues living at the property and paying rent as before. May I help further?