How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am distressed to have received a letter from my ex's family

Customer Question

I am distressed to have received a letter from my ex's family law solicitors today (dated 11/5/15; postmark 12/5/15)!: The letter is concerning the transfer of a property into his sole name following a consent order on 14/10/10. I have received two letters prior to this one, from what I believe is a conveyencing/property solicitors: One dated 4/3/15 about the transfer and to sign the 'acceptance-transfer of property subject to mortgage' form which is dated and signed by himself and his mother on 21/8/15? The second letter is dated 30/3/15 and states that fees will be reimbursed to me if an applcation to County Court is made! With regards ***** ***** latest letter dated 11/5/15 the following paragraph worries me: 'We confirm that our client has instructed us to return this matter back to the Court to enforce the terms of the order. We put you on notice that we will be seeking that you are responsible for the legal costs incurred in returning this matter back to the Court and in reimbursing our clients wasted conveyance costs to date'.

Also, I have changed my name now and the form asks for a signature under the then Mrs name: I have to warn you, that my ex was involved in fraud/criminal activity.

Please advise.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
For clarity - your received the paperwork regarding the Transfer on 4th March.
Have you signed and returned the form?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare, thank you for replying. No, I have not yet!: Because the form is signed by my ex and his mother on 21/8/14 and has my previous married name printed; does this mean that I will have to sign in my old signature? Because the form is signed 21/8/14, and not the date of when the consent order was passed on 14/10/10; I do not want any repercussions at a later date! The family law solicitors expect a reply within 14 days of the letter dated 11/5/15 which means that I need to get back to them before the 25/5/15: Does this still mean that I will have to pay his costs or is this just a ploy to get me to sign and submit the form asap? I have no intention of paying his legal costs when; i) he is raising the matter now five years later; ii) he and his mother have not dated their signatures on 14/10/10 when the consent order was issued and; iii) he and his mother have dated their signatures as propsed borrowers of the property on 21/8/14. Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply. Thank you

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
You can either sign in your old married name or your new name.
If that is your maiden name then they can supply their own copy of the Decree Absolute.
If it is a different name then you will have to supply either a copy of the change of name deed or a copy of your Marriage certificate
The form has to be dated when it is signed - so it is dated correctly.
They can apply to enforce the order and claim costs from you - but only if you continue to refuse to sign the document