How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35075
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been married years to a man who is getting more

This answer was rated:

I have been married for 10 years to a man who is getting more and more verbally and emotionally abusive I need to leave and find myself accommodation to be able to live a quiet and peaceful life ( what is left of it) I am 71.
My problem is that if I leave and find this alternative accommodation I will have to use some of my savings, I am not sure how much savings I am allowed, and if in 6 months time I need to apply for housing benefit will I be told that I left and so I made myself homeless, as I said I am 71 and have c.o.p.d. and also arthritis in my hips.
I am living on a knife edge as I never know when he will get abusive, he is also very controlling, I have to tell him where and with whom I am going out with and I have to be back within a certain time, where we live is isolated, no public transport so have to rely on friends and family to take me wherever I want to go. I have one good friend who tries her best to help but she has poor health, and when she comes to the house like all my friends and family he makes sure that she knows that she is not welcome, I hope that you can help me I cannot give you my address or telephone number for fear of him finding out what I am doing. Yours sincerely ***** *****
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the matrimonial home worth and who actually owns it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The home is considered a mobile home as it started out as two caravans, and it has been built on to resemble a wooden bungalow, but of course it has no foundations, the land it is on is called brown fill and has hardly any worth, the interior of the home is probably worth more than the home and land combined. the land is joint ownership.

Best guess on a value?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been told that it is worth no more than 12 thousand pounds as the home itself has no value, the only value is to the present occupiers.

Clare I just want to get away from this situation, and from a man who is verbally and emotionally abusive, and in the past has been physically abusive, although it has been a while since he resorted to hitting me it is always at the back of my mind that it could happen again

In that case you do not need to worry - you will remain eligible for housing benefits despite the fact that you "chose" to leave.
You do not have to endure the abuse anymore and indeed if you wished to do so you could remain in the property and force him to leave.
However if you prefer to move then you can do so without worry.
You can find out what benefits you will be able to claim here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you