How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I did a translation job company in the UK in December

This answer was rated:

Hi I did a translation job for a company in the UK in December - beginning of January 2015 but had to send my invoice to the company in Italy. I was supposed to receive payment on 14th April. On 5th March, I received a letter asking me to send my invoice to a company with a different name but still part of the same group. No payment in April, I have just received another letter mentioning the liquidation of the company I had to send my invoice for the 2nd time. The company in the UK still operates with the same name, logo, same staff as if nothing has happened. I have sent an ultimatum to the company in the UK. Can I submit a claim to the Small claims court in the UK although the liquidation of the company I had to send my invoice to (for the 2nd time) is taking place in Italy? I have kept the purchase order originally issued, my invoice and all messages received.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Who instructed you? The UK company or Italian company?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The UK Project Manager but I have just checked, the PO was issued on the paper head of the Italian company.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The UK project manager instructed me, but I have checked the PO was issued by the Italian company. Looks a hopeless case!

If it was the UK company then you could argue it is a UK company contract.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have checked Unfortunately, the only name which appears in the document which had been sent to me by the English project manager and which I had signed 'General terms and conditions' is the name and address of the Italian Company.

Ah. It's worth a punt against the UK company if it's £10k or under.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I will try. The amount is only £2044.00 but worth trying. Thank you very much.

Happy to help, good luck
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have found out that the company in England has no legal presence so I am not pursuing the matter. Waiting for the liquidation in Italy. Thank you.
Happy to help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have already rated the service as excellent, Thank you.