How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

The house next door to me had a complete refurb and has now

This answer was rated:

The house next door to me had a complete refurb and has now been rented out. Unfortunately the walls are now paper thin & everthing can be heard. I find myself whispering and tip toeing around my own house. I feel really depressed about this as .I have zero privacy. Prior to the refurb the walls were thick enough & I heard nothing from the family who were living there.
What I would like to know is whether my only options are to either spend thousands of pounds on sound proofing or sell my house.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
For now please let me know whether there was a problem beforehand ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, there was no issue beforehand with the previous tenants prior to the refurb.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The additional information asked for by the expert is given in my original question.
Did they take something out which they should not have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe the walls were removed right down to the brickwork and then re plastered. Ideally they should have installed insulation prior to re plastering.
Our houses are Victorian by the way.
Did they comply with building regs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would not know as I was not present whilst works were being completed in the house. It is possible that they did not as I do know that the builders flushed a large amount Jeye cloths down the toilet which was discovered by the Thames Water engineer I contacted following my drain being blocked and next door had sewage overflowing into their garden. I also know that the builders spoke very little English so I am not sure if they were fully aware of British building regulations.

You need to ask the Council. If it has been done to Regulations then sadly there is nothing you can do. This is because the Council sets what is and is not permissable for development.
The law says that Landlords are not responsible for the fabric of the building. So your only chance is the Building Regulations which only the Council can tell you about.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.