How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I have a borehole which feeds 9 properties if 1is sold do

This answer was rated:

I have a borehole which feeds 9 properties if 1is sold do i have to keep supplying that property
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience. May I ask if you are aware that the properties in question have formal rights for supply registered against your title please or alternatively do you have a personal contract with each of the owners or the properties to supply water from the bore hole?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was all family members and thy have stared selling to new people the supply needs up dating can I stop surplying
Thank you. This will turn on the nature of the agreement between you and the other owners. Do you know if formal supply rights were agreed and registered against your title or were the agreements informal or personal to the family members but never formaly registered against your title?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My sister inlaw moved about 5 years ago I told her to tell the new buyer about the water but she just left not doing anything so we got a new owner i changed him 10 pounds a month but I think this chould be more or nothing but now he is selling so do I have to
Go along with this
He thinks he should
have the same deal has the rest of the family
All so there is a nother property on the market
thank you. Unless the neighbouring properties have a formal right (known as an easement) by deed to obtain water from your land (from your borehole) or the properties have ben supplied "as of right" for 20 years or more continuously then none of the properties have a formal right to supply and you have no obligation to allow that supply to continue.If you wish to withdraw supply, or charge for the supply, or make money by granting a formal easement where none exists, the first step is to contact the relevant owners of the properties in question and advise that you propose to withdraw or regularise the supply of water as you prefer. You can advise that you understand that they presently enjoy a supply of water on licence (i.e. with your agreement) from you and you propose to withdraw that licence or increase the price of that licence (as you prefer. You could offer to grant a formal easement for supply but you may wish to retain a local surveyor to value the cost of that easement which would likely be significant. If you grant a formal easement where none presently exists, as above, you have a right to charge a premium which would be a not insignificant amount but after that point, the right would be absolute and could not be retracted in the future.On the basis that there is no formal easement exists as we discussed above, you must give reasonable notice before disconnecting any property from supply allowing the reasonable opportunity to arrange for an alternative supply from the water company or another borehole as is possible.I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you