How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10772
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

In 2012 we got a Deed of Severance drawn up by a Will Writer,

This answer was rated:

In 2012 we got a Deed of Severance drawn up by a Will Writer, we have done nothing with this Deed of Severance and want to know a) is it still valid and b) what should we do with it

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Was this document to sever your joint tenancy of your property? If so, did the Will writer register the Restriction at the Land Registry, to show you are both now holding the property as Tenants in common?

I look forward to hearing from you.


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it was to sever the joint tenancy and no he did not register it with the land registry

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for your reply.

Although the Deed is evidence that you both wish to hold the property as tenants in common, the appropriate application still needs to be made to the Land Registry, so that the title can be formally amended. You should therefore attend to this as soon as possible, as it does need to be done before you can be recognised as being Tenants in common.

Your Will writer therefore has only done half a job for you.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position, but please let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hi Suzanne,

Can I assist you any further?

If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Kind Regards