How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My father died some time back and his estate has just been

Customer Question

My father died some time back and his estate has just been settled (hooray). Out of the proceeds (I am one of three beneficiaries the other two being y husband and son) I want to buy my unemployed son and his partner a house as we now have a grandchild to consider. Because this will form my pension, can I a) charge them rent, b)will they be charged 'bedroom tax'?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

You mention that your son is unemployed- would he therefore be looking to claim Housing Benefit to assist with his rent?

I look forward to hearing from you.


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, he would. He is currently claiming HB (I don't know how much) and lives in a 1-bed flat. There is a LONG waiting list for housing in his area.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nicola,

Yes, please cancel my question and arrange for a refund of the charge if you will.

Many thanks.