How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My mother is a leaseholder of a two bedroom flat. She is currently

Customer Question

My mother is a leaseholder of a two bedroom flat. She is currently living in a care home and the property is rented. Her income is taken to pay towards her care. She has just received a 9000 pound bill for major works from the council. She has no money to pay the bill and mentally unable to get the money added to her mortgage. Nobody has power of attorney. What can the council do and is there anything I (her son) can do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

May I ask if the council have served something called a s20 notice well in advance of the work notifying of the requirement for the works and asking to consult on the propsed costs and then further notices proposing tenders and then a final notice advising of the contractor that was employed?
Have the works been carried out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They may have done so, but up until recently they would not discuss my mothers business with me. Last month I managed to get a third party form signed and that's when I found out about the cost.

Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Who has been dealing with the rental of the property? Have social services been handling this?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Would you like to continue with the above?