How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a small claim that is now at the hearing stage. The

This answer was rated:

I have a small claim that is now at the hearing stage. The case has been allocated to be heard in Weymouth.
The case is for copyright infringement and my understanding is that a case of this type must be heard in the IPEC court in London.
Can I write to the court explaining this and ask them to change the venue?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
As a small claim it will be transferred either:
1) If the Defendant is an individual - the D's home Court
2) If the Defendant is a company - the C's home Court.
But as a small claim it does not get transferred to the IPEC. If it was a fast track or multi track then it could be transferred.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This Government link:

Specifically states that the case of this type must be heard in a special court.

Does that make a difference?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry - At Point 3 of the pdf

Was the claim issued in London?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. I issued it online using the moneyclaim service.

That is why.
It needed to have been issued with the following in the top right corner: Intellectual Property Enterprise Court
And the claims needs to have been issued at:
The Rolls Building,
7 Rolls Building,
Fetter Lane, London, EC4A 1NL
You will need to make a formal application to have it transferred as it was issued incorrectly.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What forms do I need to make the formal application to transfer?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.