How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

In 1996 approx my neighbour and I had a hearing in Leeds (

This answer was rated:

In 1996 approx my neighbour and I had a hearing in Leeds ( chancery ) court , Gorman v Curtis in connection with a boundary dispute. Is it possible to obtain a transcript of the court ruling.
Peter Gorman
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

All cases heard in the county or higher courts are recorded. It may be possible but there is a danger if the case was not a reported case that the recording may have not been retained for this long. There is no specific retention period prescribed but according to information I have available it is understood anecdotally that recordings are not necessarily retained for more than 6 years at county court level and sometimes no more than 12 years at High Court level but there is no specific rule that provides that they are destroyed after a certain time so you may be able to obtain a copy this far on.

The procedure for obtaining a transcript is to appoint an authorised transcriber from the Tape Transcription Panel using the information on the court service website or from the Courts Recording & Transcription Unit. The rates charged will vary and should be agreed with the transcriber in advance.
Then you need to complete a Tape Transcription Request on Form EX107 and identify which parts of the hearing you want to be transcribed. For example you may wish to specify the judgment, witness evidence, legal arguments, post-judgment proceedings, or the whole case and this will impact the total fee charged by the transcriber. The completed form must be lodged at the court.

I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Joshua and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you