How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I had a judgement from the Employment tribunial in 2007 and

This answer was rated:

I had a judgement from the Employment tribunial in 2007 and have managed to get £1000 back from the company after I was given judgement in my favour. I am now not in a position to keep visiting the court in Hammersmith as I have a sick Husband and wonder if I should carry on with trying to get the remaining £5034.00
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

May I ask if I am correct to assume that that you have already obtained an order from the court allowing you to enforce the determination of the tribunal in court please?
Assuming I am safe in the above assumption, may I ask for a brief summary of what enforcement action you have attempted to date?
Finally is the employer solvent and is it a limited company or a private individual?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This was taken to high court and sheriffs attended premises unable to

execute warrant. They were told by magistrate that this HAD to be paid not matter what. They did not object to ET and so I was given judgement.

This is an Institution teaching people to become bookkeepers and accountants

Thanks. Do you know if it is a limited company or a sole trader / partnership business?Is it solvent and making money to your knowledge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was still trading but the directors did not seem to want to pay this judgement. It was run by board of trustees.

Thank you. Collecting from reluctant creditors who are not concerned with impact of CCJs on their credit record can be frustrating to say the least. The semi positive news is that there is no statute of limitations on a court judgement so it does not expire and you can seek interest at 8% per annum on the amounts owed under s69 County Courts Act.This is not much comfort if the money is needed nor does it do much for frustration levels but unless the organisation goes bankrupt there is no timelimit after which it would be free of your judgement.As to how to extract the money if you belive they hold money in their account(s) you could consider a third party debt order though this will only be effective to the extent that they have money in the account at the time. This is an order by the court to their bank to pay you money from their account directly without authorisation from the court. may also consider a statutory demand. This costs no money and is a formal warning that unless they make payment in full or formally apply to the court to attempt to set aside the statutory demand where they will need to convince a judge that they do not owe the money demanded to do so, they may be made bankrupt or wound up if a limited company. If they fail to do either of the above, after 21 days you can apply to make them bankrupt though there is no requirement that you do so. Statutory demands can be a powerful weapon to convince unwilling creditors to pay what is owed without the need for court action though only if they wish to avoid bankruptcy of course. If they are unconcerned about potentially being made bankrupt then it may fail but as above there is no requirement to follow through so it costs nothing really to try. if the organisation is a trust run by a Board of Trustees, then potentially you can apply to make one or all of the trustees bankrupt if they refuse to pay and trustees will typically have some assets at least that they wish to protect and so this could potentially be a very powerful weapon if you are correct about the organisation being run as a trust.The form you need can be found using the following link if the organisation is not a limited company: hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you