How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have had to pay £3,000 i caused to a vehicle,

This answer was rated:

I have had to pay £3,000 for damage i caused to a vehicle, however I know this work can be done for much less approx £2,000. Can I ask the victim to provide me with a receipt to prove that he paid this amount and is not scamming me.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Have you put this through your insurance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am unable to do that as I actually keyed the vehicle.

Have they agreed not to report this to the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was reported to the police however when I met the police they said if i paid this money (which i have) they would ask the other person to drop the charge of criminal damage which he says he will!. I admitted to the damage within 24 hrs, however did not receive any correspondence until a letter was received from his solicitor. His estimates and quotes are very poor. I dont mind paying for the damage as long as he can prove that is how much it actually costs.

Yes, and that is reasonable. He is under a duty to mitigate his loss by seeking out a reasonably priced quote.
The only risk might be that he would revive the prosecution with the police if you don't pay at the level he demands. Victims are generally quite unreasonable in my experience.
From the point of view of the civil claim against you though he is under a duty to mitigate his loss so asking for sightings of quotes and evidence that he has mitigated is perfectly lawful.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you