How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

My son has a property that was 2 flats now converted into

This answer was rated:

Hi, my son has a property that was 2 flats now converted into 1 house. of the original 4 meters the gas one was switched off in 2009. the suppliers SSE have recently removed this meter free of charge but have now asked for a final payment on this meter which has been disconnected since 2009, is this legal??
thank you,
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Does your son accept that he used the energy for which payment is being sought notwithstanding the time delay please?
If so does he know why payment has been requested so late?
Has he wilfully sought to avoid payment or not cooperated in meter readings?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I should have explained , it is not for energy that he is being charged but the 'standing charge' applied on top of any energy used. The meter reading is the same as it was 9 years ago

Thank you for the clarification. Does he know if the company has sought to charge these amounts previously or has it come to light now due to a failure on their part to raise a bill?Finally I hope do you know what period the charges relate to - presumably a period prior and leading up to a date in 2009? Do you know the start and end dates (even roughly)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the dates indicated 19 feb 2015 to april 2015

Thank you. May I enquire why a standing charge has been levied for a disconnected meter? If the meter was disconnected there is no service being supplied to the meter so no standing charge should arise. Has your son been able to clairfy this point with the company? Does he have evidence it was disconnected if the company say it wasn't?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you. my son is living in Australia and I am trying to sort this problem without worrying him.

I think you have answered the question that I have put to them, they should not be able to levy a standing charge against a meter that was disconnected 9 years ago.

Thank you

That would be the starting point. If the meter was disconnected then there is no service being provided to the meter and no standing charge can be levied. Standing charge is the daily charge for the supply of service to a meter not for the existence of the meter in its own right. If no service was being supplied, no SC is due. If the company contend that service was being supplied to the meter, you may ask them for a copy of their infrastructure supply record for the meter to evidence the ongoing connection - they have to maintain records in this respect. If this shows the meter was active your son would have to try to find some evidence of the disconnection request or confirmation thereof but this would hopefully not be necessary on the basis that the meter shows as disconnected.I am glad the above was of some assistance. If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you