How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6466
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I work part time , with a contract, in a small newsagents.

This answer was rated:

I work part time , with a contract, in a small newsagents. The shop is changing hands and is being taken over by a new lease holder. Do I have any rights as to maintaining my employment . thankyou
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Will the new owner continue to run as a newsagents?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


how long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

approx 17 monthes

Ok your problem is your length of service. Legally where there is a change of ownership something called TUPE applies to protect you and allows you to continue working for the new employer. You should tell the old employer that you consider that TUPE will apply to your employment. However if you are dismissed and they do not transfer you you do not have adequate service to bring a claim for unfair dismissal as you need 2 years service to bring a claim in the Employment Tribunal.
This means that there is not much you can do if they do refuse to take you on.
You are entitled though to notice and any outstanding accrued holiday pay.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your advice

no problem, I would be grateful if you would now take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for my time.
All the best for the future.
Jenny and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you