How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I am Thames Valley Housing Tenant. The office are Trying to

This answer was rated:

I am Thames Valley Housing Tenant. The office are Trying to make me pay Bed bug treatment which I never agreed to and never asked me in writing if I would be able to pay. which I would never have agreed to pay. They sent me a letter saying that I will have to pay£828.00 pounds or they can take £138.00 out of my wages. What I need to know can they make me pay for something that I never agreed to /or given a invoice of the cost of this treatment.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Am I right to assume you do not also work for the housing association please?
How long ago did you move in?
Was the bed bug infestation already present when you moved in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have lived there since 2007. I have no idea how they got into my studio flat. I have not bought anything new I reported in March of this year,. the accommodation is tied to my place of work, I work for the NHS. its property provided for nhs workers

Thank you. Unless there is a specific condition in the tenancy agreement to which you agreed that makes you responsible for the cost of eradicating bedbugs which I would suspect is unlikely to be there then the landlord would have to show on the balance of probability that you were responsible for the bedbug infestation. They may need a specialist report in order to show you were likely to be responsible for the infestation. If you have only experienced the infestation recently and did not complain about it earlier towards the beginning of your tenant then this may point to your having accidentally introduced the infestation yourself (they can be transported on luggage, clothes and so on from other places) but it is not conclusive.If they wish to make a charge they must show that you were likely to have been responsible on the balance of probability and must supply you with an invoice. They must use the cheapest reasonable method of treatement. If you contest that you were responsible or you cpntest the amount of the invoice you can refuse to pay and they will have to sue you for the money in the County Court and prove the above on the balance of probability.They may not make deductions from your wages unless you agree or unless there is a specific term authorising them to do so in your contract of employment which you have agreed to. If they make deductions from your wages in the absence of the above, the deductions will be unlawful and you can make complaint to your employer which you have a right to refer to an employment tribunal if the complaint is not resolved.I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your advice, which I forwarded to thames valley housing association office where I live. After a long and upsetting discussion , I could continue and fight it , but they said they can give me 2months notice to leave the property and they don't have to give a reason why. Because it's a short hold tenancy. ( I have lived here since 2007)Because I can't risk losing my home over this . So I am going to find a way to pay.
My apologies for the delay in reverting to you. If you occupy under an AST and the fixed term has expired then what they have told you is correct. Many housing association tenancies are assured tenancies though under which you cannot be given two months notice. In addition if the accomodatino is provided as part of your employment, you may not be able to be evicted without it being a breach of your contract of employment. If you are not certain about the information they have given you you may wish to check the above points to confirm.