How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71038
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was convicted of failing to provide the name of the driver

This answer was rated:

I was convicted of failing to provide the name of the driver when my vehicle was caught on camera for speeding, although I gave the name and phone number of the driver. I appealed this to the Crown Court. The Crown Court changed the hearing date to a date I could not make. I wrote in immediately to advise that I could not make that date, giving ten days notice. The judge decided to hear my case in my absence and fined me £415 for the privilege and said the original imposed 6 points and fine were to stay. I wrote to the judge and asked if he would please hear my appeal? He wrote back No. My question is can I appeal this and how do I go about it? Thank you.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
If you were convicted in the Crown Court then the only further appeal is either to the Court of Appeal on point of law or to the Administrative Court for judicial review.
You need to show grounds of appeal and seek leave for both and it will cost at least a thousand I'm afraid. Judicial review is more expensive than an appeal on point of law generally but neither are cheap.
On the facts that you present above, I'm afraid there are no grounds of appeal failing within either category.
Sorry but I can only give you truthful information.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you