How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

What happens if you live in housing that is council owned private

This answer was rated:

what happens if you live in housing that is council owned private stock (cementries, crematoriums and park houses). Rent is paid and council tax by tenent (not related to job). We have had a survey done within last 6 weeks and now there is a energy survey to be done. Council have given tenent no letters etc to explain why this is happening. On speaking to one of the companies that came out they could not give us any indication who within the council advised this work was to be done. On reading a letter that we received from cimpany that is calling to do the energy survey it says property management & factorage. From this I get the impression that perhaps the housing stock that council privately retain is going to be outsourced to another company who I would suspect will be our landlord. Can you advise where we stand with this? Could they change rent condition etd. I know I am probably second guessing what may happen but I am finding this unsettling. What rights do we have? Should we be concerned? Thank you
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

For the avoidance of doubt please you presently live in a house which is council owned and pay rent to the council?
Is the survey you refer to an energy performance survey to calculate the energy performance of the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

you are correct it is an energy preformance survey. we do pay rent and council tax on property.

Thank you. I do not consider that in and of itself the EPC survey is anything to be unduly concered about. The law now requires all private landlords to obtain an EPC before renting their property out and although councils are not subject to exactly the same regulations many councils are gradually assessing their housing stock for energy performance to comply with a variety of environmental legislation. They use the results to decide what may require insulation works and other upgrades to meet various targets that may be set from time to time.Having said that councils can and do contract out management of their housing stock to housing associations. If the council were to do so your tenancy would not be effected nor would the rent you pay and your rights would transfer as against any housing association as they currently exist against a council. The preparation of an EPC does not necessarily indicate that this is going to happen but it could be the reason one is being prepared because any housing association that was going to purchase the councils stock would require an EPC certificate for each house before the completed the purchase.You can ask the council for more information if you are uncomfortable about the survey but as above your tenancy should be unaffected should there be any transfer of stock.I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me I'd be very grateful
Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you