How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I'm a self employed painter , I did a job on an hourly rate

This answer was rated:

I'm a self employed painter , I did a job on an hourly rate for as long as I could with other people who I paid myself ,now the shop owner is refusing to pay my wages for the time we were there . At no point were we asked to put anything "right" or go back to finish anything . What can I do ?
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
How much are you owed? Did you send the person an invoice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm owed £1995 and yes I gave them an invoice but it didn't show the amount of hours ,but that can be proved .
OK, understood.
Although 30 days have passed you will still have to send a letter of claim being starting legal action.
You should write to the customer setting out in simple language what is owed and why and giving them 14 days to pay.
If payment is not made you can start a claim in the County Court via the Ministry of Justice portal - Money Claim Online.
The claim procedure will allow you to claim interest on the sum due.
But, as I said above, before you start proceedings you have to send a letter of claim and give notice of your intention to sue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it have to go to court? How long after do they have to pay ?
No, it doesn't have to go to court at all.
How long they have to pay is entirely a matter for you. Are you happy to wait another month, 3 months or 6 months? It really is down to you to decide whether you will give them time to pay.
If you send them a reminder letter that may do the trick.
But if they are refusing to pay, without any good reason, and you want your money, then your only option is to sue them.
Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I will send them a re-done invoice with more information on it giving them 21 days to pay