How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12076
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Please can you advise how family should go about hiring a microbiology

Customer Question

Please can you advise how family should go about hiring a microbiology expert to support a submission for judicial review following an unsatisfactory inquest.
The Estate of the deceased has lawyers No Win No Fee for continuing clinical negligence claim but these solicitors have nothing to do with the inquest.
Will family need to get separate solicitor to write letter of instruction for microbiology expert or will expert accept instruction from family? Would a direct access barrister be able to instruct expert?
Your advice much appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
There is nothing in law to stop a family instructing an expert witness directly. However in practice, an expert will only take instructions via a solicitor in any type of medical legal case. You should instruct a separate solicitor for this purpose. The solicitor will get an estimate of fees from the expert and you will have to pay those fees to the solicitor so that he is in funds to instruct the expert.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. That is very helpful.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. Don't forget to leave a positive rating on the system so that I am credited for my time.