How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71155
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My 17 year old step daughter has recently decided to come and

This answer was rated:

My 17 year old step daughter has recently decided to come and live with me & her father, her mother is refusing access to her belongs including passport, what rights does she have?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
are there any orders in place?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no not at the moment

In that case she is perfectly free to live with you as she chooses.
If her mother withholds her property then there are a number of options.
The first is to get an officer to attend with you to prevent a breach of the peace while you collect these items.
The second is to seek an injunction from the county court forcing her to hand them over.
The third is not really the best. This can always be reported to the police as a theft as she is withholding property belonging to another but she will probably defend on the basis that she did intend to return them at some point and so there was no intention to permanently deprive her of them.
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you