How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

The new owners of a car yard directly opposite have now installed

This answer was rated:

The new owners of a car yard directly opposite have now installed dazzling, intense security lights high up on their buildings. The largest light shines directly into my bedroom. A request to reposition or turn off has been met with derision. These 3 security lights are blazing all night. Please, what can I do?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Have you complained to the council yet at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is why I am asking the question. Are those high up, on all night, security lights governed by local authorities I.e. town councils or is there a government law against this? Is there anything that I can do if the owner will not turn them off? It is now 8.20 am and they are still on! Yet another sleepless night.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Obviously my reply was bounced by your server as this request box popped up again.

Is this type of security, on all night, type of light covered by local authorities law?

Yes they can. If this is a nuisance causing you harmful effects on health then the council have a duty to investigate. If it is a hazard to Health they can ask them to stop or limit it and if they refuse take them to court.
In any event you could get a solicitor to write and ask them to cease. If they refuse then you could take them to court for a nuisance and ask the court to give an injunction that they stop.
You would need to complete forms n1
And n16a
But if you complain to the council first that should start the ball rolling. Environmental Health can look at this for you.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.