How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49819
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

What am i entitled to if my employer terminates my part time

This answer was rated:

what am i entitled to if my employer terminates my part time employment
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

approx 10

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

approx 10 years as a part time employee when I worked 4 hours per week

Thank you and what is the reason for the termination of your employment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was a part time tutor with a local College and taught a leisure class in Floral Art. The college have decided to stop all leisure classes and close all out-centres. My 12 week course finished in mid April and I had a telephone call from my College Department manager on 22nd May 2015 who advised me that the College had stopped all leisure classes and my class will no longer run in September when it would have commenced for 2015/2016.

Thank you for your response, which I will now review. I will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Thanks for your patience. As a starting point, when your employment is terminated you are entitled to your contractual notice period, which cannot be less than the statutory minimum. This is a week’s notice for every full year of employment up to a maximum of 12, so if you have 10 full years of employment then it would be a minimum of 10 weeks notice.
On top of that you are entitled to receive any accrued holidays for the current holiday year which remain untaken at the time your employment is terminated.
Finally, if your employment is terminated by reason of redundancy you are also entitled to receive a redundancy payment. If the employer is stopping the course you run and basically says they no longer need people doing it then it likely this would amount to a redundancy. Therefore you can ask them to pay you a redundancy payment. You can calculate your entitlement here:
I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you