How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34908
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Our 23 year old son suffers with adhd. He is incapable of managing

This answer was rated:

Our 23 year old son suffers with adhd. He is incapable of managing his finances and is constantly badgering us for money or to help out with his creditors. My wife and I have tried to support him over the years but now realise his demands are being fuelled by drugs and alcohol. He has very cynically targeted my wife who is vulnerable due to ill health and during cancer treatment some of his texted and email demands have been exceptionally hurtful and abusive. Just recently it got to the point where the persistent emails, texts and attempts to call were overwhelming cause my wife in particular great distress. We called the police and obtained a crime number and they suggested issuing an injunction with power of arrest to halt his persistent unwanted contacts. Our son lives in the north of England but we don't have an address, he keeps claiming he's homeless and threatening to come to our retirement home. The police spoke to him and as is often the case with him, he was charming and came across very credibly as a loving caring son, the police have seen the hundreds of messages he has sent. How would we go about obtaining the injunction with powers of arrest and what would the likely cost be? Is the lack of an address (we have an email address) a problem? We are really afraid that he will come to us and we're glad when he left home for university as he caused a lot of damage to our last house and property and don't want to go through this again.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you blocked his number and email address?
Do you respond to his messages in any way
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare, we have blocked his number on both of our phones but he calls withholding his number so we can't always be sure who is calling. We don't seem able to block his emails but we haven't replied since last Wednesday 20/5. We then spoke to the police on the Thursday 21/5 and they told him we didn't want further contact but he has persisted with emails which we haven't responded to.
You should be able to block his address using the mail providers tools - but I have to admit that is well beyond my capability to talk you through.
However in terms of obtaining an injunction you need to keep a careful record of all contacts for the next two weeks (do not respond to any of them)
Once you have this and before you apply to the court you shoudl ocntact the police again and show then the records and ask them to give him an harassment warning. Criminal proceedings would be much more effective than civil ones - but if need be the form you would need is here
You will need the permission of the court to serve him via email
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you