How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I live in a rented bungalow, and struggling to pay rent and

Customer Question

I live in a rented bungalow, and struggling to pay rent and rates, I am a widow, my husbands friends wife has left him, and I have a spare bedroom, it would be ideal if he moved in and helped with this. We are both on Pension 78 and 75 years old, Don't receive any benefits, never have. Platonic friend , is this ok??? Would we be doing the wrong thing Please
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Just a few questions from me now so that I can answer properly. How long have you lived in your bungalow and what sort of tenancy do you have? Do you have a written tenancy agreement? If so is there anything in it about how many people can occupy? In most standard agreements there would be no clause about this.
You need to be careful not to sublet a room to him as this would probably breach your tenancy. In order to do this you need to not give him exclusive possession of any part of the house not have him pay any rent. However, if he was to come and stay as a friend/guest and at the same time he was to make a contribution to you to cover housekeeping then there wouldn't be likely to be a problem.