How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have a guy (Handyman) doing work whilst I am renovating

Customer Question

I have a guy (Handyman) doing work for me whilst I am renovating my house . I pay him £10.00 per hour he works about 16 to 24 hours (He has domestic commitments- young daughter )I pay him daily in cash He was recommended to me by the previous owner of my house whom he had done work for.He often supplies Labour and Materials as he has a trade account with the local builders merchant. He uses his trailer to take rubbish away and charges me extra. He uses some of my tools and some of his own. He has a "Waste Users Trade Licence "With the local Authority. WE "Fell" out on Thursday last week due to bad workmanship. He made certain comments which suggest that he will claim "Employee status" as he has worked for me on a regular basis.
Should I worry??
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

I would suggest that you use the employment status indicator tool to check what his status is:

The final decision would lie with the employment tribunal but from what you have said, you do not need to worry. I assume he has been working for you for less than 24 months and that this has been after 6 April 2012.

If he has worked for you for less than 24 months, he cannot bring an unfair dismissal claim even if he is deemed to be an employee.

Hope this helps