How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

Not sure if you can help. My parents are being harassed

This answer was rated:

Hi - not sure if you can help. My parents are being harassed by my former girlfriend for money. She keeps sending THEM letters telling them that I owe her £8000. In the letters she threatens to take me to court (which I am more than happy for her to do). However, my parents are now constantly worrying about me and her and the threat of her turning up on their doorstep. They are both in their 80s and my mum keeps saying she is just going to pay her off. I've told them both that this is nothing to do with them but it does't stop my mum in particular from worrying about me ( and what the neighbours will think!!!). What can I do? If my parents of pay my ex-girlfriend any money can I take action against her - is she breaking the law? I think she is as this is basically harassment. Thanks.
Paul M
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Your parents are not liable for your debts unless they have personally guaranteed them.
To pursue someone for a debt they do not owe is a criminal offence under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970.
I would write to her and say that if she does not stop harassing your parents, you will report her to the police.
Do you actually owe her money?
Kind regards
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No - I don't owe her any money (in my opinion). She bought me a car several years ago and I bought her loads of art stuff and garden furniture and basically did her house up for her. If she wants to treat our transactions as related to money then I'm pretty sure we are even. However, she is now claiming that I took money from her as an agreed loan to me ( which is totally untrue) and she is using emotional blackmail in the letters to my parents saying things like "I know he wanted to pay me back - he took the money from me which I poorly dad left to me...etc, etc," which is all untrue. I am happy for her to take me to any court either civil or criminal but this harassment of my parents is something I can't control or deal with.

Thank you.
Firstly I would write her a letter as I have outlined above. Tell your parents this is what you intend to do and tell your parents not correspond with her any further.
I would then write her a separate letter that states the following:
- At no point have you ever accepted a loan from her;
- She cannot now unilaterally change the terms of any previous agreement you had;
- This constant demand is unacceptable and any further attempts to demand the money will not be responded to;
- If she commences any court proceedings you will vigorously defend the same and seek from her the cost of doing so.
Realistically if she is not going to take you to court then is nothing further you can do other than report her to the police for unlawful harassment.
As a side point - make sure you keep a record of the incidents when she chases you for money.
Kind regards