How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10774
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

What constitutes 'running a business from home'? I am trying

This answer was rated:

What constitutes 'running a business from home'? I am trying to purchase a property near the coast in Devon and my solicitor is reluctant to progress to exchange (supposed to complete by end of this month!) until we have it defined in writing. I will be using the property as my holiday home but in the weeks/months if the year I do not use it will offer it for holiday lets to help with the cost of running it all year. I cannot afford to buy it if I cannot do this.
There is a clause in the Transfer Deeds that states "not to carry on or commit to be carried on any business or trade from the property without the prior written consent of the company" the company being the Management association. Which is a registered company and registered to the neighbour next door!!!! One rule for one

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Not sure why your Solicitor does not know, but it is common legal knowledge following case law, that using a property as a holiday let is classed as a business when it comes to restrictive covenants. The Courts look at the planned use of the property- and in this regard, a private residence is entitled to be the registered office of a Management Company.

You do therefore need to approach the Management Company, requesting consent,to use the property partially as a holiday let. I wouldn't advise that you proceed to exchange of Contracts without their written consent.

I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hi Candice,

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards